While staying at Belle Vista, one of the best parts of your trip will be swimming at Madiera Beach and surrounding areas. Here are some valuable tips for staying safe while swimming from the Tampa City website.
General Swimming Rules:
- Always swim with a buddy.
- Swim only in areas that have a lifeguard.
- Stay out of the water when you are very tired, very cold, or overheated.
- Follow all swimming rules posted at the swimming area.
- Obey the lifeguard’s instruction.
- If you can’t see the bottom of the pool in the deep end or the water is cloudy, don’t swim there.
- Avoid swimming at night in unlighted areas.
- Don’t chew gum or eat while swimming, you could choke.
- Do not push, shove, or run near the water, horseplay can be dangerous.
- Get out of the water if you see lightning or hear thunder.
- Swim a safe distance away from diving boards and slides. Never swim under them.
- Never swim near a dam or boat ramp.
- Avoid swimming in river currents.
Rules for the Beach:
- Know where the nearest lifeguard stand is.
- Be sure you know the surf conditions before you enter the water.
- Check for warning flags.
- Observe danger signs.
- Swim well away from piers, pilings, and diving platforms.
- Be on the lookout for dangerous marine life
- If you swim out from shore, remember you have to swim back.
- If you are caught in a current, don’t try to fight it or swim against it. You can make it back to shore by swimming gradually away from it.
- Don’t let anyone pressure you into a dangerous stunt.